Website Management – Doing a Doctor’s Check Up for Your Business Website
Just like your body, your business website also requires a check-up. It’s easy to let things slip, and the consequence of that would be a steady decline in traffic, reputation and ultimately sales. This is a rather insidious way for you to lose traction with your site, as you don’t immediately see it occurring. But it’s very real, and will have very real results.
So in the spirit of prevention, listed below are 5 ways you can make a huge difference in terms of how your sites appear, operate and prosper.
- Are your pages loading quickly? – It’s been said you’ve got less than 10 seconds to load your page or the majority of people will abandon and head for faster, greener pastures. If your site is image heavy, and packed with flash, you may well want to optimize for faster performance. Moreover, Google will punish your site in the search rankings should your pages load too slowly.
- Old products, programs, links lurking – Be sure you remove any old product, programs and links that are no longer relevant. Nothing says your page is stale and dated more than your PDF download from 2008 that’s not only dated but unavailable. Dead links and 404 pages will also not help your search rank, either.
- Stale content and old images – Likewise cull out text and images that are no longer topical. All those great pictures from 2007 which feature people no longer working with you can probably be archived, don’t you think? People and search engines are usually after fresh, current content!
- Refresh your social media – Ensure that your social media buttons not only link to your current social media sites, but that you’re up to date with them.
- Fresh content – Nothing will help nearly as much as fresh, updated content, consisting of posts, videos, audios, and images. If you have posts on the first page of your blog that are older than a month, you really should rethink your content strategy.
Break out your virtual stethoscope and start breathing. Your visitors will thank you!